We are a small, lean, family friendly organization operating in a virtual environment with approximately 25 employees and contractors. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing every aspect of their employment needs, plus recruiting and hiring new staff, primarily journalists. This is a fast-paced, dynamic PT position with a high degree of responsibility. If you love working with passionate, creative people and if you have 3-5+ years’ experience in HR, we would love to talk to you about this position.
As the sole HR recruiter, responsibilities include sourcing, interviewing and recommending the hiring of qualified journalists (the core people within our organization), as well as marketing, fund-raising and administrative personnel.
- Create a pool of qualified applicants by sourcing candidates using a variety of methods – including cold calling, Internet sourcing, newspaper advertising and Internet posting; develop and maintain key contacts and positive relationships with all recruiting sources;
- Correspond with applicants in regard to inquiries concerning employment opportunities; review and evaluate applications, transcripts, references, and other credentials in regard to initial employment; schedule & conduct initial interviews and make recommendations for employment.
- Maintain applicant tracking reports and measure the effectiveness of recruiting sourcing strategies, recruiting costs and position fill time; ensure timely completion of pre-employment and hiring activities.
- Create on-boarding schedules and procedures customized to each position. Participate in on-boarding new employees/contractors.
- Respond to questions or concerns from employees in a timely fashion
- Communicate with employees about compensation, benefits and other facets of their employment
- Stay current on all employment laws, regulations and best practices and ensure compliance
- Work with Publisher and COO to establish and communicate HR policies to all employees
- Approve and schedule PTO based on employee need and company requirements; maintain all PTO records and ensure coverage for absent employees
- Oversee the maintenance of all personnel files
- Enthusiasm, outstanding interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills, a collaborative nature, and commitment to results. Must be a self-starter with excellent organizational skills and high attention to detail. Ability to develop successful sourcing strategies, set priorities and manage the resulting workload. Must be computer literate, able to communicate via email and telephone and manage own home office with reliable Internet. May involve limited travel.
- Preferred: Knowledge of journalism, the media’s role in information distribution, media outlets and public interest non-profits.
- Communication style: Newsroom culture requires skills to communicate well with journalists from across the country, get to the point quickly, accept errors easily and thrive working with a highly competent team.
- Hours: PT (20 – 25 per week) flexible within office hours. Opportunity for growth.
$30,000 annually for 20-25 hrs/week:
- Paid Family Leave
- Generous vacation
- 3% retirement match
- Transparency: Full time journalists’ salary is $60,000 with benefits – 100% paid health insurance starts at three-quarters time. Note: Interns have always been paid a livable wage
How to apply: If you meet the requirements and would like to be considered, please email your resume, time availability, salary requirements, and how you heard about the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Public News Service is an Equal Opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of ethnicity, race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, past experience in the criminal justice system and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.