Free Speech TV Job Opening
Network Background: Operating in its 28th year, Free Speech TV (FSTV) is a national, nonprofit, independent news network whose mission is to empower an informed and active citizenry to build a more just, equitable and anti-racist world. Powered by our viewers, FSTV amplifies the voices not heard on the corporate networks and lifts up the efforts of everyday people working on the front lines of social, economic, environmental, and racial justice. The team at FSTV believes a just, kind, and sustainable world is built by people inspired by diverse voices, surprising conversations, and fearless truth-telling.
Free Speech TV airs 24/7 with daily news programs like Democracy Now! and The Thom Hartmann Program, with weekly current affairs series like Gay USA and Economic Update, with award-winning documentaries, and with special coverage of events and movements like Netroots Nation, Bioneers and the Poor People’s Campaign: A National Call for Moral Revival. FSTV reaches 30 million US homes via DISH, DIRECTV, local cable affiliates, Sling TV, Roku, Apple TV, Alexa, social media and www.freespeech.org.
Position Summary: The Operations Coordinator, a Denver, CO based member of the FSTV Content Team, is responsible for administering FSTV’s video management system (Zype), and for coordinating the network’s routine live and pre-recorded broadcast and media management services. The Operations Coordinator will communicate and collaborate with program hosts, their teams, independent producers, master control, organizers, and vendors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Coordinating live and pre-recorded content delivery of video, audio, graphics, and other media elements with content providers, studios, and networks (FSTV distributors, producers, and hosts) via satellite, LTN Global, IBM Aspera, and other services. Both file-based and live workflows occur simultaneously and independently for broadcast and digital distribution through Comcast Technology Services and supported OTT platforms.
- Tracking, communicating and escalating media distribution issues with programming department, master control, digital platforms, and vendors as necessary.
- Ingesting, transcoding, formatting, and performing quality control processes on incoming media and the distribution on multiple platform destinations (products).
- Correcting last-minute timing issues, log changes, and errors as needed.
- Ensuring the timely electronic delivery of media to master control and digital platforms.
- Administering FSTV’s digital video management system (ZYPE), from media, to metadata, to publishing workflows.
- Managing FSTV digital media archives and tape library.
- Facilitating the technology and support of special live events both virtual and in-person for broadcast and digital distribution.
- Assist in the management of internal communications, IT, and business systems.
- Provide occasional on-call point of contact duties in backup role for Operations Director.
This list is not all inclusive. Other duties may be assigned. The choice of duties and responsibilities is at the discretion of the employer.
Attributes: The Operations Coordinator position requires the abilities, leadership, willingness, drive and initiative to:
- Manage vendors and cross-departmental projects with the ability to work collaboratively.
- Complete all tasks accurately and on time with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills — ability to interact well, collaborate and support colleagues and partners (producers, hosts, and vendors).
- Remain calm and focused when faced with unexpected challenges.
- Manage multiple assignments simultaneously and effectively.
- Work extended hours for special events.
Basic Qualifications: The following qualifications are required:
- Experience with broadcast and digital media systems: traffic, playout, encoding, compression, conversion, signal analysis, and quality control.
- Experience in production and post-production in a broadcast or digital environment with a functional knowledge of video editing with Adobe Creative Cloud or Final Cut Pro.
- Demonstrated track record of successful project management.
Preferred Qualifications: The ideal candidate will also meet these qualifications:
- Experience in customer service or a client facing role.
- Proficiency in computer technology and familiarity with web-based database.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Google for Organizations G-Suite (Spreadsheets, Presentation, Documents), Video Meeting and Webinar hosting.
- Inventory management, archival organization skills.
- Passion for FSTV’s mission, values and antiracism commitment, as well as familiarity with progressive media and social justice organizing.
FLSA Status: Fulltime, Exempt
Reports To: Operations Director
Department: Operations (Broadcast & Digital Content)
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Location: Denver, CO (currently hybrid)
Travel: Occasional travel is required
Compensation: $58,000-$60,000 annually, commensurate with experience
Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, life, short/long-term disability insurance. Generous paid time off. 401k retirement plan.
Anticipated Start Date: 01/02/2023
Free Speech TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based upon age, race, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, marital status, status as a veteran, status as an individual with a disability or any other status protected by applicable state or local law. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY: The Open Media Foundation is recruiting on behalf of Free Speech TV. Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line “Operations Coordinator.” The deadline for applications is 30 days from the date of this announcement.