5280 is hiring an editor to join its award-winning digital team. This senior-level staffer will help manage daily content output, including assigning, editing, and writing stories and helping 5280 grow into new media and platforms. The ideal candidate should be a talented editor with experience in a dedicated newsroom. Digital experience is not required, but a basic understanding of content management systems, search engine optimization, and online and social media best practices is essential.
This editor must have superb journalistic instincts; be decisive with edits and highly organized when it comes to workflow; and be a confident and quick thinker. We are also looking for a collaborative teammate and cheerleader who is willing to take responsible risks to meet our weekly, monthly, and annual goals.
5280 editors are expected to live in the Denver metro area. Our offices are located downtown Denver, and we currently have a hybrid working model, where editors can determine when they want to be in the office and when working from home is more efficient and effective. Typical business hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday; however, there may be times when reporting and deadlines require an alternative schedule.
- Assign and edit daily web news stories and features, working with 5280 editors and reporters as well as freelance writers.
- Collaborate with digital director on the daily, weekly, and monthly editorial calendar to ensure continuity and avoid over-coverage. Eventually, this editor will lead quarterly pitch meetings and weekly lineup meetings.
- Report and write stories as needed, delivering one to two stories each week.
- Stay up to date on SEO best practices and keep tabs on digital trends and winnable keywords.
- Project manage specific digital content packages quarterly.
- Help manage the digital team’s move to a content management system and long-lead planning service that helps collate assignments, copyflow, asset collection, payments, and more. Manage this tool for a 30,000-foot-view of the digital media landscape of 5280.com.
- Partner with associate editor and web production team to optimize story presentations for digital audiences and social media expressions.
- Produce digital newsletters as needed, delivering at least one each week—or as needed by the associate editor.
- Along with digital director, be available for late-breaking or critical news content (writing or editing), even outside of typical business hours, and remain nimble to the needs of web production.
- Collaborate with print editors and reporters to generate additional multimedia elements as dictated by strategy and insights from the digital director and associate editor.
- Attend weekly social media meetings and participate in caption generation.
- Provide representation at broader team meetings with Brand Services, Sales, third-party analysts, print editors, or web developer as needed and as requested by the digital director.
- Four years of journalism and editing experience, preferably in magazine or digital media
- Strong editing and writing skills
- Experience managing and working with freelance writers
- Working knowledge of content management systems, search engine optimization, and online and social media best practices
- Strong organization and communication skills
- Proficiency with editorial and data-tracking tools like Google Analytics, Parse.ly, Adobe Omniture, Tableau, etc.
- Proficiency with website hosts like WordPress, Squarespace, Shopify, etc.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite
- Proficiency with customer relationship management software like Hubspot
- Background working with cross-divisional partners like Sales, Brand Services, Art, etc.
- Familiarity with photography, photo editing, and video editing as it applies to digital media
- Basic understanding of AP Style
- Knowledge of Denver, the Front Range, and Colorado
Salary: Starting at $58,000
- Health insurance (FSA, FSA dependent care, HAS options, Teledoc)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Paid parental leave
- Public transportation or parking subsidies
- 401K program
- Fitness club membership option
- Unlimited paid time off
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
5280 is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applicants of diverse abilities, backgrounds, and life experiences to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics disability, age, or veteran status.
Candidates should send a brief cover letter, resume, and five fully fleshed-out story pitches tailored to a 5280.com audience to [email protected] using the subject line “Senior Editor (Digital).”